I’m an advocate for survivors, and one of the many passionate people that work every day to support survivors of child abuse and trauma.
I am here to tell you that if you have been impacted by child sexual exploitation, there is help available. There are many specialist organisations dedicated to helping survivors of abuse heal from the trauma that they have experienced.
- We are here and you are not alone. We will listen to you and we will believe you, because when we share, we heal.
- We are here to tell you that being a survivor of abuse is never your fault and that you did not do anything to deserve this.
- We understand the enormous amount of courage it takes to come forward and we will help support you through your journey of recovery, whatever path that may take. Let us work together to place the shame and stigma where it belongs, at the feet of perpetrators.
If you or someone you know has been impacted by child sexual abuse and online exploitation, you can find a list of available support services within Australia at www.accce.gov.au/support
It can be hard to know what to say if someone discloses to you that they have been impacted by child sexual abuse and online exploitation. You can help make sure they feel safe and supported by:
- Listening – Give them your full attention and be patient, this is a hard topic to talk about and it takes a lot of courage.
- Reassuring – Let them know how brave they are for speaking up and that they are doing the right thing.
- Supporting – Ensure they know that this is not their fault and they did not deserve this.
- Believing – Let them know you believe them and just want to help them be safe.
- Explaining – Explain what their options for next steps might be, including accessing support services or making a police report if that is what they want.
Come on Australia, it’s time to talk about child sexual exploitation